Tuesday 5 January 2010

Cover Analysis






1) NME - Beth Dito Issue

2) Q - Madonna Issue


3) VIBE - T.I Issue

4) SPIN - Pete Doherty issue






Studying the above covers, I learnt that the key to success is layout. A simple, sophisticated layout, which contains a simple, three colour scheme.
Most of the magazines I studied complied with this convention, however I learnt that, depending on the different genre of music, and the different target audiences, the cover changes. For example the the NME layout is alot more out of place than SPIN, This is because they both target a different genre of music, which can be represented through the layout of a magazine.
A classical magazine would perhaps hold a more tidy, together layout, then perhaps a heavy metal magazine. This is because classical music is a lot more calmer than heavy metal, which is shown through the layout of the magazine.
Magazines which use a constant colour scheme become more familiar with customers, therefore it builds the magazines reputation. In my opinion, a simple monochrome colour scheme gives the best impression, because it makes the magazine look a lot more classy, therefore making the reader feel classy for buying it. The use of bright colours, in a variety can often look tacky or childish, therefore I think it would be best to stay clear of bright colours, unless I am using them to highlight some kind of coverline, in perhaps red, like VIBE magazine do.
The use of a main image as a background is a good convention, because this can change the whole look, and image of the magazine, for example in the SPIN issue, Pete Doherty is wearing a suit, which makes the the magazine look sophisticated, however if Pete was to be wearing a hoodie, and tracksuit bottoms, this could ruin the entire front cover, as the audience could associate violence, and antisocial behaviour with these clothes.
I dont like how some magazines have a barcode on the front, I think this takes away some of the classiness that has been built up by the background image, so I plan to host my barcode on the back, where it should be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment